Tinnitus, often referred to as “ringing in the ears” is a very annoying feeling which can affect the quality of life. It is not a disease itself, rather a symptom. The problem can be inside the ear, in the ear canal, in auditory nerves or in the brain. Tinnitus can also be associated with an underlying medical condition or any comorbidity, which can only be treated once the health condition is addressed.
How to stop the ringing and buzzing noise. Tinnitus can be very challenging at times and can be more stressful when a person is unable to find a cure for the disease. As a rule of thumb, if tinnitus persists for more than three months, it will not go away on its own. The only possible solution is to manage the situation. We will discuss the ways which can be helpful in this regard.
- Identify Triggers. Many at times the triggers to this condition can be something very benign looking such as a cola drink, coffee, any specific diet or even something such as any medication or a smoking habit.Usually, it differs from person to person but these are the most common ones. So try to identify the triggers for you and avoid them as much as you can.
- Avoid Stress. According to different studies, stress is one of the major triggers as well as a nightmare for this condition.To simpify it lets explain the mechanism of noise generation.The noise, although is generated in the ears, it is percieved in the part of brain. So, if you are stressed, the noise will get more louder and irritating as stress hormones tend to amplify the noise. So, If one is more stressed, the louder the noise is, and so on. In this way, a vicious cycle ensues. Many at times anti anxiety (anxiolytics) and anti-depressants medication helps mainly by breaking this vicious cycle by relieving stress hence decreasing the noise amplitude.
- Behavior Modification. As mentioned earlier, stress is one of the major causes for this condition, so therapies like meditation, yoga, deep muscle relaxation and self hypnosis are very helpful. The most effective therapy in behavior modification is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. This therapy works well with support of behavioral therapist or a Psychologist. Joining support groups also helps as one can learn to fight this common condition and implementing a coping strategy that can be helpful for themselves. Even simple change in habits, like doing exercise daily and having healthy food can help relieve this condition.
- Soft Music. One of the vey effective ways to manage tinnitus is by creating a background noise. Tinnitus usually bothers people during night time since there is not much of the sound in the surroundings. Hence, the absence of background noise causes tinnitus to be more pronounced. Customized sound machines can be very helpful here, as they mask the sound in the head. Sounds of rain, ocean sounds or sea waves can work both as a background noise as well as mind relaxor.
- Protection of hearing. Prevention is, and always has been, the best method to manage any disease or condition. For tinnitus and related ear condition, preserving a normal hearing should be the standard practise. Usage of ear plugs and hearing aids can be benificial to protect hearing loss and tinnitus caused by loud noises. The use of hearing aids can be specially helpful as it cuts down all the loud and irritating noises which can be the trigger for tinnitus.
- Sleep Hygiene. Tinnitus is worsened by stress and can cause sleeplessness which can initiate the never ending cycle for stress. To break this chain, it is imperative to have a good night sleep. It relieves stress, relieving tinnitus further. If unable to sleep, try using any of the above mentioned techniques and enjoy a sound refreshing sleep.
- Medications. Well, medications are not very helpful for this condition. The only prescription drugs given are either anti-anxiety or anti-depressants. These medications only helps break the cycle of mental stress which can be done by the above mentioned methods as well.
- Treatment of underlying medical conditions. Tinnitus is also seen in patients having other medical conditions as well, like thyroid problems, Lyme disease etc. So a baseline health check would be helpful to rule out secondary cause for
- Alternative treatments. Many individuals have found alternative therapies such as using certain nutritional supplements, homeopathic remedies and acupuncture to be helpful, although they have not been backed by scientific evidence. Some people are even convinced with the use of a herb “ginko bilboa” as a treatment option but scientific evidence fails to prove so.
- Surgical Treatment. Various surgical treatment options have been tried and tested to treat this condition including stapedectomy, cochlear implants destructive procedures, neurectomies and tympanosympathectomies but these procedures have been succesfull in a small number of people.
In conclusion, tinnitus is a quite manageable condition. The medical and surgical treatment has not been very encouraging so far. But with the recent advancements in healthcare, nothing is impossible. As for now the methods mentioned earlier have been quite helpful in a larger cohort. So if you have this condition why don’t try one of our methods. Alsways consult the doctors YOU trust! Newstodayworld.org
- Tinnitus – The Best New Ways To Cure The Ear Ringing And Buzzing Noises. - October 20, 2019